Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Make your mark memorable with Gestalt

When looking at logos why do so many use figure/ground ambiguity?

I was creating a Gestalt lecture this week for my students and I noticed that when I got to the principle of figure/ground, instead of finding examples of how the content was designed like news and magazine pages, advertisements, and web site designs, I was finding examples of the visuals like logos and illustrations. This got me thinking...

To start I need to explain the Gestalt principle of figure/ground. An image (figure) is separated from its surroundings (ground). This is how contrast is created in a design. The more you separate the image from its surroundings, the more contrast is being created.

When the figure and the ground become ambiguous, meaning figure and ground become hard to differentiate, it can create an interesting image. It’s this ambiguity we will explore.

So why was I finding more logo and illustration examples instead of design examples?

I believe it is because when an image is ambiguous it makes us pause. You are more likely to stop, look more closely and try to figure out what you are looking at. This is what an illustration needs to do so that the reader stops to read an article or advertisement.

This goal becomes even greater when designing logos. You want the consumer to stop and imprint that image on their brain. Probably the best way to illustrate this point is to take a look at some successful examples that use figure/ground ambiguity.

Many people don't see the hidden arrow between the "E" and the "x" in the FedEx logo.


Their are eleven teams in the Big 10.


Food writers logo


Knight Transportation logo, I actually called my wife to tell her about this logo while I was on the road as the logo passed me on a tractor-trailer. She was not nearly as interested as she should have been. I don't understand it?

No comments:

Post a Comment